Pages

Sunday

What would you do??

So we have a dilemma...
Gordon was recently transferred from the West Valley office (about 25 min away during rush hour) to the Thanksgiving Pointe office (about 60 min away during rush hour). He hates the traffic so we decided it would just be easier for us to move closer to his new location. We signed a 10 month contract for our house with the VERBAL agreement from our landlord that we could sell it if we were transferred.
I called our landlord yesterday afternoon to let him know that Gordon had been transferred and that we had listed our contract on KSL earlier that morning to get it sold. We already had 3 interested people contact me so I figured I should give him a "heads up."
He said he needed to talk to his dad (whom co-signed on the house with him) and then he would get back to me. After setting up 2 more appts for people to look at the house I still hadn't heard from our landlord so I text him to see if he had spoken to his dad.
He calls back...
Gordon talked to him for at least 20 minutes. Our landlord is denying ever discussing selling the contract and says we won't get our $1000 deposit back if we move before Oct 31st.
Grrr...
Both Gordon and I had seperate conversations about selling our contract because we were concerned he would be getting transferred.
We realize it is our fault for not getting it in writing, but we are willing to find renters to take over our lease so he isn't out anything...

I get to call him back after we make a decision to try and convince him to let us sell our contract.

A few things on my mind...
The first 3 months we lived here our landlord would text me at the end of the month requesting rent early when it wasn't due until the 5th. He finally stopped after I said something to him.
He advertised that the Club House and Pool were apart of the contract, come to find out they are not!! Grrr...
We have made awesome friends here and I really don't want to leave them yet.
I have 4 appointments set up to show the house tomorrow and could possibly have the place rented June 1st, but I'm going to cancel them if he is going to be...
We really like the house and it finally feels like home.
We are expecting a baby the beginning of Oct and I really don't want to be moving with a newborn.
We can find a bigger house for the same price closer to Gord's work.
I'm a landlord myself and understand his concerns about finding good renters, people that will take care of the house...
We realize it is our fault for not getting the VERBAl part of the agreement in writing, but if he wants to be dishonest and pretend that he never discussed that option with us then we will be out by the 31st and he can lose some $$
Losing $1000 is A LOT of money! For both of us
We would be saving time and $$ by moving closer to Gord's new office.

So... What would you do??
Would you stay or would you go??

13 comments:

Jarae said...

Oh Chels that is a hard one and I can tell it is very frustrating to you guys. $1000 is a ton of money but like you said in the long run you will be saving time and money by moving closer. Plus you will be in a bigger home for the same price. so maybe you already answered your own question. Good luck with your GREAT landlord. :(

Jarae said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
heather said...

I would find a place closer to Gords job transfer. The Land lord sounds shaddy about this whole thing. To me, it seems as though he doesn't have the $1000 to give back to you and so he is denying every making that agreement. I mean, why would he ask for the rent money in advance if he wasn't needing the money. I would still fight him for the money and I guess you could just leave and find a new person to rent the place out. I think it's nice of you do even find someone to rent it for him!

Melanie said...

Don't leave!!!!! I didn't even know he had been transferred. That's really hard. That guys was always a little odd. Sorry you are in this crazy predicament. Hopefully, if you decide to find renters for him, you can find some nice people for us :) I don't want you to leave yet! It feels like you guys just got here!

Bailey Family said...

This is Ryan and i think you should threaten him with small claims court. See what happens? Good luck

Judy said...

Hit you knees and ask the Lord to soften his heart. It would be good to get moved and settled before the baby comes. I will pray for your family that it will all work out the way it is supposed to. And sometimes the way it works out is hard to understand until later when we can look back and see the blessings. I think putting it in the Lords hands is the best way. He knows what is best.!!!! Good luck

Ryan, Sarah , Ruthie and Tate said...

Of course you know my biased opinion! :) Good Luck!

Kate & Jeremy said...

GRRRR is right!!!! how annoying is that?! i didnt know gord got transferred ... does he like it better so far?? besides the drive?? hopefully your landlord stops being a geek, and lets you sell the gosh darn contract!! let me know and good luck! hope you are feeling good chels! miss you

Danny & Crystal said...

That's a hard one! I guess I would just keep trying to talk to the landlord to keep his agreement. If he doesn't though, I wouldn't waste your time & effort to find someone to rent the house--he can do that if he's not going to keep his agreement. Good luck with your decision!

Meichelle said...

I agree with Ryan (the one who said to threaten to take him to small claims court.) Judge Judy preferably. :D
Hehehe
I hope things work out well!

Meichelle said...

Oh and like Crystal said, if he is going to keep the 1000 dollars, then make sure you don't find him a renter. Make him do that himself!

Amber and Che said...

Wow that is a sticky situation. Good luck with all of that. What a stupied landlord. I agree with Meichelle. Take him to Judgy Judy. ha ha

Daniel, Kathryn, Lincoln and McKay said...

We don't think you should leave at all! It feels like you guys just got here. Good luck!

Related Posts with Thumbnails